The King and the members of the Royal Family promote private and public initiatives that help bring about social improvements.
Several initiatives have grown out of the commitment of the members of the Royal Family:
- the Royal Trust, property Leopold II bestowed on the Belgian state,
- the King Baudouin Foundation, whose initiatives are aimed at improving the living conditions of the population,
- the Queen Paola Foundation, primarily operating in the field of education ,
- the Queen Fabiola Fund for Mental Health,
- the Queen's Charities and Queen Fabiola's Charities, intended to underpin her philanthropic and social activities,
- the Prince Albert Fund, aimed at providing a grant to future foreign trade and international management experts to train in the field,
- the Prince Philippe Fund, seeking to make a contribution to maintaining an ongoing dialogue between the various Communities in Belgium,
- the Princess Mathilde Fund, paying special heed to the most vulnerable people in our society,
- the Queen Elisabeth Medical Foundation, promoting laboratory research and contacts between researchers and clinical practitioners,
- the Prince Laurent Foundation for the welfare of domestic and wild animals and to take initiatives in favour of the recognition and respect of the dignity of animals.